Saturday, February 4, 2012

SNOW!

Yesterday it snowed here and I just had to laugh.  In a country famous for Hans Brinker, its world champion skaters and winter sport Olympians, The Netherlands just can't cope as soon as a few flakes fall covering the nation's roads.  Being the smart cookie I am, I left work early yesterday since I knew the normally crazy Friday evening commute would reach the level of total insanity by 3pm.  Confident I could beat the system, I left at 1pm and what should have been a 25 minute drive took nearly two hours. By the time I got home (at my regular time) I was ready to strangle the first kid who walked in the door and had a killer migraine to boot!

Since I drive one of those little funky European hybrid cars, the costs of a new set of snow tires is enough to feed a family of four for six months.  Yeah, that's what I thought, which is why I didn't get them this year. On the bright side, my kids are finally able to skate on the canals -- something they look forward to all year.  Me? I'm content to sit inside next to the fire with a glass of Lambrusco and peck away at this keyboard creating my NY Times bestseller! Cheers!


Amsterdam, The Netherlands       AP Photo/Margriet Faber



No comments:

Post a Comment